How Fatal is Your Fashion?
Corsets that cause internal bleeding. Crinolines that carry you away in a good gust of wind. Foot -binding that crushes the bones. Lead makeup. A quick retrospection of our knowledge of previous fashion trends and societal fads reveal that people do not always make the wisest of decisions in the pursuit of beauty. But that was then, right? This new, modern generation of independent women knows better than to risk their own physical wellbeing just to mimic the fashions presented by the models and society darlings…right?
Well, not entirely. Although it is true that we, as Americas, have largely given up the practice of lacing ourselves into our clothing, we have also adopted quite a few new and dangerous fashion trends. And most of us do not even know it. And so, The Bottom Line presents:
Six Scary Common Fashion Trends That Are Doing You Harm
1. High Heels- Ladies, why do we put ourselves through this? Why do we keep getting excited at the idea of slipping on a pair of heels for a fun night out, knowing full well that such a decision guarantees a night full of discomfort? How is this fun? Each step in your three inch platform stilettos offers the unique possibility of teetering off balance and breaking something important, you know, like your nose or your dignity. And if you do manage to keep your balance as you hobble around the streets of Frostburg? Then you, too, can enjoy a potential case of osteoarthritis as a thank you gift from your very favorite pumps.
2. Enormous Earrings- Whoever thought up the idea to pierce a hole in the earlobe and dangle heavy objects from it was a mad man. Yet still we follow suit, more than happy to show off our new spectacularly flashy earrings. What you don't hear about, though, is the dangers of such an action. Besides risking infection, the weight of a too-heavy earring can actually spit the earlobe into two! And even the light-weight pairs can stretch the lobe and cause it to swell.
3. Protruding Purses- As kids we all complained about the ever-increasing size of our book-bags. ("They expect me to walk to the bus stop AND carry this thing around??") Yet many of us still lug around tote bags and designer purses filled with a random assortment of personal belongings that really only serve to weigh us down. We probably don't need to carry around an umbrella at all times "just to be safe." This unnecessary and heavy concentration of weight can quickly result in neck and back pain, as well as arthritis.
4. SnookiSkin- You can get skin cancer from tanning. Enough said.
5. Novelty Nails- Even though a new pair of long, shiny nails looks fantastic, the results can be quite damaging. The weight of the veneers can, and often does, pull the natural nail away from the finger which can result in painful, and disgusting, fungal infections.
6. Dangerous Dye- Hair dye, it should be known, is just a bunch of chemicals. Chemicals like carcinogens which are linked to cancer. And chemicals that can cause a wide array of unfortunate medical conditions like a burning scalp, hair loss, vomiting, decreased nerve sensitivity and eye inflammation among many others. Cute? Yes. Safe? No.
It feels great to look good. Most of us have, at some point, experienced the euphoria and confidence experienced by look in the mirror and realizing, "Hey, I look hot!" There is value in taking care of your body and showing off your unique personality through your styling. But, these feelings should never come at the expense of your health. Because being alive and healthy? That's the most attractive thing in the world.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Bottom Line News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE BOTTOM LINE NEWS
RECENT THE BOTTOM LINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'